The day before
- Buy beer and drinks
- Print out your poker rules or have your players go over them on your personal website.
- Buy enough playing cards and couple extra ones in case cards are bent or spilled on.
- Make sure you have enough chips for your poker tournament or cash poker game.
- Download one of the poker tournament software’s, install it on your laptop and learn how to use it.
- Paper towels, paper plates for food – Order food a day or two before if you are going to provide it
- Mainly for cash games, get enough $1 and $5 bills as you will have people who walk in with only $100 bills
The game day before the players show up
- Clean your place – even though you will have to clean it afterward again.
- Setup your poker room – remove any unnecessary items from your poker room.
- Put the drinks in the fridge, have the snacks ready on the table.
- Have the food out.
- Have a copy of your rules out in case anyone wants to go over it again.
- Count chips for as many players as you expect and maybe couple more for the new players.
Right before the game
- Get the money from players.
- Advise everyone to go over the rules if they haven’t yet.
- Give cards and cut cards to each table.
- Announce if there is a rebuy or not, blind periods, and such.
- Wish everyone and yourself good luck. Shuffle up and deal.